Sales Development Representative
Salary: £25k, uncapped commission
Who we are ⚡
Zinc builds automated reference and background checking tools for forward-thinking companies that really care about candidate experience. Founded in 2017, Zinc has a unique approach to background checking, that's redefining industry standards. We're an early-stage startup going through rapid growth. Zinc offers an exciting opportunity within a small, tight-knit team that is motivated to get their best work from each other. Read more about our story here: https://zincwork.com/mission
We help customers put scalable checking processes in place that will give clear candidate insights and empower candidates. Our mission is to allow companies to become more efficient at hiring and create unforgettable candidate journeys by gifting candidates with ownership over their data. We're proud to be helping some of the most iconic employer brands in the UK hire. Read what our customers say about Zinc: https://zincwork.com/customers
We're a culture first company, and enjoy an active calendar of both company and team organised events! Making the most of our London location we have regular company socials which usually involve dinner, an activity (darts, shuffleboard, bowling, etc) and drinks. We have a team bouldering club 🧗, a poker club ♠️, a slow cooker society 🍲, running club (aka Zinc Zoomers!) 🏃 and regular board games!
The big event in the Zinc calendar for team bonding is our annual retreat ✈️: in 2022 we went to Tuscany, Italy 🇮🇹 and for 2024 we're off to Bergerac in France 🇫🇷 we've got seats on the plane saved for our new joiners!
Zinc is a company built on transparency, empowerment and data ownership.
We recently redefined our company values: Life at Zinc is: Focused, Empowered and Trusted.
The Role 💼
The Sales Development Representative (SDR) will be focussed on outbound prospecting and converting leads into real opportunities. This is an entry level role which will lead to you either managing teams of SDR’s (leader & process optimiser) or to be an Account Executive (consultative relationship builder & deal closer).
The right person will be a brilliant verbal & written communicator, have a good instinct for social media, understand how people tick and being willing to embrace the latest technology & data to get the job done. They will also have to have an entrepreneurial and creative streak with bundles of resilience.
The role will require someone who wants a big commercial tech career, but is not just willing but wants to learn in a fast growth, scrappy tech environment.
Your first 3 months
- Get comfortable working in a fast paced tech business
- Learn all about background checking and the Zinc platform
- Generate opportunities by using the latest technology and techniques from the tech SaaS world (social selling, automation, multi channel prospecting etc)
At 6 months
- You will be comfortably hitting targets individually as part of an ambitious, fast growing team tech team
At 12-18 months
- Begin to explore other responsibilities you can take on to expand your skill set in the tech world
- What is the next step for you?
Who the successful candidate will be 🏆
This is an entry level role, so although some sales or recruitment experience would helpful, no experience is required.
The most important thing is particular skills and behaviours which we will test for during the process.
There will be a number of behavioural and attitude traits that will allow someone to thrive in the the role and in an early stage start up environment
Entrepreneurial & self starting
- You always comes with possible solutions when you raise a problem.
- You are more interested in solving an issue that working out who is to blame.
- You are constantly looking around for ways to make things better, and help the team win
A strong sense of personal accountability
- You hold yourself to higher standards than the people around you
- You want to succeed, and believe that although external factors can make things easier or harder ultimately the outcomes are within your control
Coachable, self improvement driven, always likes to be getting better, and hungry for knowledge
- You love to learn more and want to get better.
- for their personal career, and progression. However also someone who gets a kick out of collective victory and team work
- You have compelling reasons for wanting to work in sales, not just for a tech start up! (but that as well)
You are kind & have integrity
- Strong verbal & written communication
- Looking for clarity, emotional intelligence and knowing when to talk and when to listen
- If can write concisely, persuasively and nearly always get the tone just right we want to see what you can do.
- A natural story teller
- Beyond what Zinc is/does and the overall benefits, we want someone who can tell the story that makes the prospect really believe and feel how it’s going to make their lives better
- Structured, organised and evidence driven
- A lot of sales is admin, follow up and not letting things slip through the net.
- Other parts are seeing what works, and checking (not assuming) that something is the right strategy
Useful Knowledge & Experience
No experience is required (it’s an entry level role), but some could be useful if you have it.
- It would be great if you have done a bit of sales before, but not necessary.
- Why? - sales is an emotional rollercoaster and requires resilience. It’s also great to know you like it
- Exposure to recruitment
- Why? - You’ll be reaching out to Heads of People, Talent & HR. If you have been exposed to that world, and understand what people in it want, it’s no bad thing
- Background checking knowledge
- Why? - A long shot, but if you know about it - great!
- Modern sales techniques and tools (i.e. automation, tech tools).
- We can teach you everything you need to know, but if you know your LinkedIn from your Hubspot already - great!
We are a hybrid working environment, which means two days in the office a week (currently Mondays & Thursdays). We’re based in Old Street (London).
If the above sounds like you we would love to see your application. The first stage will be to have a conversation with our talent lead, and then do 2 small tasks where you get to show your skills and meet the sales team here at Zinc.
What we offer 🍉
Zinc offers a chance to work on a product that brings a fresh perspective on data ownership in hiring
- 24 days holiday + Bank Holidays + your birthday off 🎉
- Apple laptop and latest tech gear for your home workstation
- £1200 annual benefits allowance (ThanksBen, from month 2)
- Early finish Fridays (16:30)
- Enhanced company sick pay (10 days)
- Yearly company retreat: this year we're going to France ✈️ 🇫🇷
- Enhanced Maternity, Paternity, and Adoption Leave (2 months full pay, then statutory)
- Statutory pension with NEST (3% employer, 5% employee)
- Zinc shares, issued through the EMI Scheme
- Unlimited access to MoreHappi coaching